After the age of 20, your skin produces 1% less collagen each year. When combined with the cumulative effects of sun exposure, unwelcome lines and brown spots are inevitable. There’s now an effective solution to remove the signs of aging from your face, chest and hands!
Laser skin resurfacing is ideal
for the improvement in the appearance of pore size, skin tone
and wrinkles, giving you the youthful looking appearance you’ve always wante
d. With Cynosure’s® Icon™ Laser, dramatic results are possible without the lengthy downtime associated with an invasive facelift or other, fully-ablative laser treatments. This in-office treatment takes less than 30 minutes and provides remarkable results you will be happy to show off.
How It Works
This fractional technology uses microbeams or columns of energy to create areas of affected tissue that extend through the skin’s epidermis into the dermis while leaving the surrounding skin unharmed resulting in faster healing. This triggers the body’s natural healing process to clear away old, damaged skin cells and create new healthy cells. The laser also stimulates the production of new collagen and elastin deep within your skin. Over time, this will build up the support structure under your skin resulting in a younger and smoother looking appearance.
What To Expect On The Day Of Treatment
Before your Icon™ skin resurfacing treatment, we will typically apply a topical anesthetic over the area being treated. Once you are ready for the treatment, the topical anesthetic will be removed and the skin will be washed. You will be provided eye shields to protect yourself from the light during treatment. The treatment will begin with the provider guiding the Icon™ handpiece over the treatment area.
You may feel heat or a tingling sensation during the treatment. Depending on the size of the area, treatments take about 30 minutes. Immediately after the treatment, the area will be cooled and we will apply an occlusive ointment which should be used over the next few days to decrease healing time. If you are a laser skin resurfacing patient please contact our office to review the pre-treatment care instructions prior to the day of your treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does laser skin resurfacing with Icon™ work?The Icon™ delivers a series of tiny microscopic laser beams or columns into the skin. This fractionated energy penetrates the skin to clear away old and damaged skin cells. The body’s natural healing process then builds new healthy cells to take their place. The laser also stimulates the production of new collagen deep within your skin, giving you a more youthful looking appearance.
- How long does the treatment take?The treatment can be performed in as little as 30 minutes depending on the size of the area being treated.
- How many treatments will I need?Most people see their desired results in just one treatment however your doctor will determine the best course of treatment during your consultation.
- What does the procedure feel like?A topical anesthetic is generally applied before the procedure, so there is minimal feeling during the procedure. Some patients have reported feeling heat and tingling.
- What should I expect immediately following treatment?Immediately after the treatment, your skin will feel warm and appear to be sunburned. You may also experience some swelling, which is completely normal. Your body naturally starts working by replacing the aged skin cells with new ones. After a few days, you will notice healthier-looking skin and a more even complexion. Over time, collagen will regenerate and restore the supporting structure of your skin, giving you the smooth skin you are looking for.
- How long will the results last?With proper skin care and protection, results often last years.
- When can I resume my daily activities?Since the Icon™ technology delivers fractionated pulses of energy you will experience a significantly shorter recovery time than with fully ablative lasers. Each tiny hole will quickly heal and you can return to your normal lifestyle in as little as four days.
- What are the risks?Fractional skin resurfacing has a faster recovery and has fewer side effects when compared to fully ablative resurfacing. Skin resurfacing treatments with Icon™ are generally well tolerated. During your consultation, we will explain any potential risks and help you minimize them based on your complete medical and skin history.
All Medical Services
Bangor, ME 04401
Founded by Dr. David Branch in 2000, Bangor Plastic and Hand Surgery provides state-of- the-art cosmetic and reconstructive surgery in an AAAASF accredited facility. We strive to create a warm, friendly environment in which our patients can pursue their cosmetic goals, explore new ideas about appearance and rejuvenation, or just heal following injury or illness.
“The information available on Bangor Plastic and Hand Surgery’s website is provided for informational purposes only. This information is not intended to replace a medical consultation where a physician’s judgment may advise you about specific disorders, conditions and or treatment options. The use of this website does not create a physician/patient relationship between you and Bangor Plastic and Hand Surgery. We hope the information will be useful for you to become more educated about your health care decisions. The images on this site are for aesthetic purposed unless otherwise noted. See before and after images for possible results. Individual results may vary.”